Pages

Pages

Thursday 18 February 2016

Blue and Purple Gradient + Water Spotting


I hope everyone is having a good week so far! I took tomorrow off work and I'm going on a 3 day trip to a place I can't pronounce... Ucluelet on Vancouver Island with a few friends from high school :) I've never been before but it seems like it will be relaxing and we got a good Groupon deal. Anyone have any fun plans this weekend? Today I have a swatch and some nail art that I wasn't able to photograph very well unfortunately :(

Layla No. 18 is a shimmery dark sapphire blue. It was a bit sheer to show the shimmer. Shown is 2 coats. I didn't have any issues with application.


I wanted to try a water spotted mani over gradient since I haven't done one in a while. Unfortunately the blue was darker than I was expecting so it's a bit hard to see the water spotted pattern. My camera also refused to capture the gradient and it kept showing up as just blue which was annoying. The purple is China Glaze Coconut Kiss. I used a makeup sponge to do the gradient. 

I used Sally Hansen Black Heart and Fructis hair spray for the water spotting but you can try hand sanitizer spray or perfume too... Lots of different sprays with alcohol in them will work :)

Sorry for the blurry pic... it's the only one where I managed to capture the gradient!



Anyone have any tips for photographing gradients when your camera refuses to "see" the two colors? What do you think of this mani?

20 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Great effect and colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I haven't done any water spotting manicures before but I always thought they looked pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lisa! I haven't had that much success with them haha... I usually end up with spots that are either too small or big

      Delete
  3. Super wonderful mani dear Stephanie! For this weekend I have no plans at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! sometimes I love having weekends with no plans too and just doing whatever i feel like at the moment :)

      Delete
  4. Wow this is really gorgeous :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This design looks so beautiful, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dark shades. I've tried the water spotted technique but I didn't succeed at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. obrigado :)

      Desculpe, não posso falar português <-- Google traduzir

      Delete
  8. i think layla is one of the best quality brands out there and i love the blue's matte finish. this method takes a lot of time and patience but it looks really cool. i actually like your version better then cutepolish's. what do you think would happen if i sprayed directly on the nail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not matte.

      Umm you would just have nail polish and hair spray on your nail. It's not going to create a pattern on your nail if you just spray it onto your nail. The spray only breaks up polish when it's floating on the surface of the water.

      Delete
  9. This is gorgeous! This reminds me that I have Coconut Kiss and haven't used it in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Ya too many polishes not enough time haha :)

      Delete
  10. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!
    I think it looks amazing when the colors are so dark... it looks so mysterious :D
    I really love this so much and I have to see if I can find a fructic hair spray here so that I can try to do this myself :)
    Fructis is a brand that people here in Vaasa seem to love cause I see that the products (mostly the hair sprays) are almost always sold out :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't wear dark polish often because I hate how obvious any little chips or tip wear is with dark polish. You can also try hand sanitizer spray or another hair spray if you can't find the fructis hair spray... If it has some alcohol in it might work... Experiment with what you have at home already first :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading them :) Thanks for reading!

Design by | SweetElectric