Pages

Pages

Sunday 10 February 2013

Chinese New Year Gold and Red Ruffian Mani


Couldn't think of anything to do for this year's Chinese New Year mani. Was originally going to do red with gold glitter over it but that's pretty much what I did last year. Saw SparrowNails' Chinese New Year Ruffian mani on instagram and decided to go with that instead.

I started by painting 2 coats of Revlon Gold Coin. Then I went over most of it with OPI Big Apple Red, painting the way I usually would except I left more gap so that a gold edge was left for the Ruffian effect.

I don't think Ruffian manis are very flattering on my nails. I think this would look better if I had longer nail beds or if I grew my nails out longer first. Visually I feel that this makes my nails look shorter and fatter, especially my middle nail which is naturally wider, and is also now a bit shorter due to a break :( Maybe If the color by my cuticles was darker and didn't blend into my skin so much? Or if I left some of the gold at the side? Like so the red part was more tapered rather than going straight across the gold? Does that make sense? Now I'm just rambling haha



My right hand nails look especially stubby I think because my right hand nails are a bit shorter. Also I couldn't paint my right hand as accurately so I left more gap.

Here's last year's Chinese New Years nails:


Essie As Gold As It from the luxeffects collection (2 coats)
Essie Trombone (2 coats)

Last year's picture is so blurry! My photographing skills have definitely improved! BTW if you're wondering, I have changed my blog name several times. I promise I didn't steal this pic :)

6 comments:

  1. Cute design! And eventhough your nails aren't that long, but it looks wider! Totally cute.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC! I wish my nails were longer like yours! Do you use any nail strengthener? How did you get them so long?

      Delete
    2. I didn't use any nail strengthener. But I do some simple treatment for my nail in every 2 weeks. Not that special, just a simple treatment. But I think that's good enough to make my nails doesn't break easily, so they can keep growing, plus get more shining too :D
      Well, at least your nails are wider than mine. Huhu.. I envy you for that :(

      Delete
    3. What nail treatment is it? Everyday this week I broke a nail... Today broke 2!!! :'(

      Delete
    4. Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know that feel.. :(
      Well, I found this treatment from my friend's blog, mayang. She is talented nail-art and have such a long nails! Check it here..

      http://mygnails.blogspot.com/2012/08/august-nail-care.html

      Also, I suggest you to wear cotton gloves when you doing the dishes. Washing the dishes in harsh detergent may weaken the nails and make them brittle. Plus, pay attention to what base coat you use. It's also important part to make our nails keep stronger..

      Delete
    5. Hey CC

      I tried to comment on your blog a few times but it didn't work... basically after I type the comment and press publish it asks me to type in the letters in the picture to prevent spam messages... but the box is cut off so there is no box for me to type in the letters... hope my explanation makes some sense... I took a screen shot of it so you can see

      I couldn't find your email address on your blog... please let me know your email and I will send it to you

      thanks!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading them :) Thanks for reading!

Design by | SweetElectric